“Advantaged Speakers” are students:
- who have lived in a German-speaking country 6 weeks or more at one time since the age of 6;
- who reside with a native German-speaker who regularly speaks German at home;
- who speak German at home;
- who visit or have visited a German-speaking country (annually or biannually), visiting German-speaking homes; OR
- who have attended a school where the majority of subjects were taught in German for one or more years.
No exchange students from German-speaking countries may enter the “advantaged speaker” categories or any other categories of the contest.
Exchange students from non-German-speaking countries may enter the category for the level in which they qualify.
Advantaged speakers may compete in the “Advantaged Speaker” categories for Prose and/or Poetry Memory. They may also participate in the following: Skit (Level 4), Puppet Show (Upper Level), all Cooking and Music events, and all Arts events EXCEPT Photo Essay, Poster Design, Shirt Design, and Video. Advantaged Speakers may not participate in Pass Auf!, Scavenger Hunt, or any oral or written tests except the Advantaged Speaker written test.
It is left to the professional judgment of the teacher to determine the eligibility of students. Questions of eligibility should be addressed to the contest director prior to the contest registration deadline. If a student is designated Advantaged in one category, he/she must be entered as Advantaged in all categories and contests.
Please note Advantaged Speakers in your alpha list. If it is discovered either by the judges or the staff of the contest that a student is improperly entered, the teacher will be notified and the student will be disqualified from the competition.