The German Texas Heritage Society will award scholarships for first through 3rd place, and contest registration fees will fund the fourth place and fifth place winners in the category “German-Texan Research Papers” at the Texas State German Contest.
$500 first place; $250 2nd place, $125 3rd place, $100 4th place, and $75 5th place
Students who win 1st-5th place in the Research Paper category at the Texas State German Contest receive the awards. Their teachers are encouraged to be members of the GTHS at the time of their winning; however, membership will not affect scholarship eligibility.
Winners will be announced at the Texas State German Contest Awards ceremony at Texas State University in San Marcos. Checks will be presented by a representative of the GTHS and/or by Jennifer Christianson, Director of the TSGC.
The GTHS was founded in 1978 by three educators (Mary El-Beheri, Dona Reeves-Marquardt, and Anna Thompson). It is important to the Society to promote educational projects. The organization wants and needs the support of educators.
How can someone join the GTHS?
Visit http://www.germantexans.org/membership for membership information.
Membership Benefits of the German-Texan Heritage Society
- The Journal (ISSN 0730-3106), printed 4 times per year, is filled with extensive genealogical information, original essays, book reviews, reprints of articles from other publications (domestic and foreign), general history and preservation information.
- An Annual Meeting is held in German heritage areas of Texas in the Fall. A different program each year may include tours of historical sites, workshops and presentations by researchers, preservationists, genealogists, folklorists and members.
- Reduced registration fee for the Annual Meeting
- Book specials and discounts on books published by the Society
- Genealogy advice and free Journal queries