Please click the button to the right for each rule in Drama category.
Drama General Rules
These rules have been made to protect all schools and contestants.
- It is not allowed to use the same script (or a substantially similar script) in more than one event at the same contest if there are any common cast members in both events. For example: A school may not use the same script for a skit and a puppet show if one or more students are in both casts. It is also not allowed for any cast member to perform a script which he/she has performed in any previous year. For example: If your Skit 2 in 2020 was “Rotkäppchen,” you may not use “Rotkäppchen” for Skit 3 in 2021 or for Skit 4 in 2022 (unless the casts from one year to the next are 100% different). The spirit of both these rules is that students should be challenged to work with different material in each event they enter, both within the same year and from one year to the next.
- Failure to provide at least 2 copies of the piece to the judges will result in a 10 point deduction from the cumulative score.
- Cell phones may not be used at any time during the performances.
- Each school must provide an alpha list of students, including the names and authors of poetry, prose, skits, plays, duets and puppet shows.
- Enter fifth year students in the fourth year categories.
Drama Critique Sheets
Entry Limit: Two Lower Level (German I – II) per school; Two Upper Level (German III-V) per school
Time Limits: Level 1: 3-5 minutes Level 2: 4-6 minutes Levels 3 & 4: 5-7 minutes
This competition follows the basic rules of the National Forensic League, which include the following: The 2 contestants may use no more than 2 chairs, no other props and no costumes; may only pantomime actions; must have a memorized introduction in German; may have no prompting; must use a piece from a published work by a German-speaking author (no translations); must have 2 copies of this piece for the judges; and must adhere to the time limits set forth above with a 30-second grace period (under or over). The merit of the selection will be a criterion in judging. Duets may not be excerpts from a play, skit or puppet show, in which the contestants are performing.
Entry Limit: One Lower Level (German I-II) play per school; one Upper Level (German III-V, incl. advantaged speakers) play per school
Time Limits: Lower Level: 4-8 minutes Upper Level: 7-10 minutes
Contestants have a 30-second grace period (under or over) plus a maximum of 3 minutes to set up.
Puppet shows may be written by the class, the teacher, German-speaking authors, or others. Fairy tales may be adapted as puppet shows. The performers must memorize all lines from the script. The judges will ensure that the performers have no scripts. No stage will be provided, nor used on the contest site, but rather, contestants will perform behind chairs or desks covered by a black cloth (which is provided onsite). Each group must provide its own puppets, props, backdrops, and painter’s tape. Backdrops should be no larger than 10’ X 10’. They may be secured to the wall with painter’s tape only. If advantaged speakers are included in an Upper-Level cast, this information must be given to the judges. Two copies of the script must be provided for the judges. Excerpts from the puppet show may not be reused in other categories by the same cast member.
Time Limits: Levels 1 & 2: 4-8 minutes Levels 3 & 4, 7-10 minutes
Contestants have a 30-second grace period (under or over), plus a maximum of 3 minutes to set up.
If it is a mixed-level skit, then it must be entered on the level of the most-advanced cast member. If advantaged speakers are included in a level 4 skit, this information must be given to the judges. Skits may be written by the class, the teacher, German-speaking authors, or others. Skits may be from fairy tales. Good pronunciation and grammatically-correct German are most important in the judging. Costumes and props may be added for flavor and effect, but are not required. Two copies of the script must be provided for the judges. Excerpts from the skit may not be reused in other categories by the same cast member.